PETALING JAYA: Former premier Datuk Seri Najib Razak has called out DAP veteran Lim Kit Siang over his selective attack on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
Without naming Lim but with screenshots of his Facebook attacks, Najib said Lim “had not stopped from 2021 to 2022.”
“For the past five days, he attacked the MACC chief commissioner over allegations of some RM1mil share ownership in March 2016.
“It was not related to corruption, but over high stock ownership that warrants an explanation.
“The weird thing is, Uncle (Lim) has been silent over other more important and controversial issues involving the MACC,” he said on his Facebook page on Sunday (Jan 2).
For example, last October, Najib said that a key witness for his son Lim Guan Eng’s corruption trial fell from his apartment a month before he was scheduled to testify.
“In November 2021, the MACC stated that some RM65mil (from an amount believed to be RM700mil) was paid by Jho Low into the accounts of the husband of former Bank Negara governor and was returned to Malaysia from Singapore. Uncle kept quiet,” he said.
Najib said former attorney general Tan Sri Tommy Thomas had revealed that he was aware of the role of the former Bank Negara governor and her husband in making things easy for Jho Low, but no action was taken.
“Once again, Uncle was silent, although he was the one who allegedly promised Thomas that he would be made the attorney general if Pakatan Harapan won in the 14th General Election,” he said.
Najib also questioned Lim’s silence on a leaked 14-page document, believed to be a classified MACC investigation report stating that an ex-minister, who was involved with SRC International, had received and concealed RM85mil funds related to the 1MDB in a proxy account in Singapore.
“So we need to ask Uncle, why say nothing on other matters that are far more controversial.
“Aren’t they not important?” he said.
Last month, MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki was alleged to have close to two million shares in a public listed company.
In November last year, the MACC revealed in a statement that US$15.4mil (RM65.71mil) of 1MDB-linked funds were recovered from Singapore and it involved the accounts of a company owned by the husband of former Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Dr Zeti Akhtar Aziz and another individual.
Following that, Thomas had said that he was aware of such transactions during his time in office and roles of the former Bank Negara governor.
However, Thomas said he did not take any action at that time because the MACC had not completed the probe.